Sunday, April 15, 2007

...drunk.

did you know you can get drunk on water??

When you overhydrate, this causes the sodium ion concentration to be abnormally low in the fluid outside the cells. Sodium affects the nervous system first, and
"the individual behaves as if drunk on alcohol. This condition, called water
intoxication
, is extremely dangerous. Untreated cases can rapidly
progress from confusion to hallucinations, convulsions, coma, then death."

=O !!!

don't overhydrate!! but fortunately few of us will drink near-pure water...much less enough of it to kill us.

8 comments:

Imelda said...

Does drinking only boiled water have some possible health consequences??
- Imelda

Darren said...

i doubt it would have any serious health consequences if you take it in moderation...

Anonymous said...

Ya, considering that they recommend 8 glasses of water a day just go be sufficiently hydrated and most of us don't get that much, overhydrating isn't something any of us will ever have to worry about unless we are purposely drinking absurd amounts of water.

But that was cool tho lol =)

Anonymous said...

...I remember learning about that. Had to study it for Standard First Aid - got a good laugh out of it, until I realized that too much of anything can kill you so it's not all that special.

-Justin Shum

Anonymous said...

i was right...excess sodium ion concentration = dehydration! w00t w00t!

-wes

Anonymous said...

does boiled water remove dissolved solutes??

Anonymous said...

ooo, I remember the first time my mom told me to drink 8 cups of water a day back in HK, so I tried to drink it all at once believing that I wouldn't have to drink anything for the rest of the day. I think I drank about 6 cups before it came back out, the way it came in of course =)

Jimmy Archer said...

Blog more!