Thursday, February 15, 2007

Worshiping my valentine....

too many people are clogging up hotmail and i can't check my email...so here i blog.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! or in spanish, it's FELIZ DIA DE LA AMISTAD (happy day of friendship...SO much better!)
....Jesus is my valentine [insert heart]. Today he gave me a beautiful sunlight shimmering in the new, pure white snow. XD Funny, cuz just yesterday i was thinking about how incredibly dirty the snow/ice had become...if only i had a picture to show the diff!!

Well! google.images is ok at these things...

dirty snow [left]



pretty shimering snow with sunlight on it [right]



too bad the "sunlight on snow" doesn't really show the shimmering...=p


I'm still thinking about Urbana. Still trying to grasp what happened there....
I think another thing I learned at Urbana was to embrace worship...in fellowship with others. I'm still struggling with that, but Urbana gave awareness of it.

Whenever I worship in song, I feel like it's a very personal thing...and to "really" worship, it's like i have to imagine everyone around me back off into darkness...until all that's left is me and the powerpoint of words. To tune out everyone around me, so it's just me and God.

...but i've been learning to embrace the voices around me, to sing WITH them, as a whole while each in individual worship. To dance with the saints I'm part of, to smile, cheer, shout to the Lord with them.

It's hard...
how do you worship in fellowship, in a way that you're not just "going with the hype"?
I find myself molding into whatever environment i'm singing to God in....

If i'm at an ET sunday service, worship quietly. the most would be to raise the hands halfway.
At Urbana, it was jump, dance, raise hands high, shout the praises.
At youth group (CR one) it was standing even when no one else was. because everyone else did.

It's so much easier to worship freely when those around your worship freely. How is one supposed to worship freely, while still being very present and part of the people around them?

How shameful is it that I can't even stand when I'm compelled to, DURING worship night, when the leader has already invited us to, among a fellowship of bros/sis...how shameful. =[
...and especially when singing "I STAND in awe of You..." (we should sing this sometime)


Just wondering....is it etiquette? not to distract others by being different?

Jesus...my soul's lover...I want to learn to worship you wholeheartedly. Lead me by the hand, take me into that Holy of Holies where You are. Where you can show me the sweet spot of worship...the way you've created me to worship you best, closest.

6 comments:

Darren said...

alrite I'll be first to comment. Take that Albert!

I've always questioned the same thing with worship. Why do we comform to our surroundings during worship? I don't believe its etiquette that we don't worship differently, but i believe we worry of what others might think of us if we do so. It comes down to the individual on how comfortable they are to worshipping God.

Matt said...

Haha good job Darren

dang you!! you beat me to what I was going to say!, but that what i get for ruining Beauty and the Geek for you! hehehe, don't kill me!

Autoshow??

ediesblah said...

funny.. i've had the same thoughts before...
i mancato u, dani!!

sportswizard said...

Lets all take turns beating Albert to comment! W00t!

Darren hit it on the bullseye. Often times how we worship is affected by the fear of what others will think of us.

More later...right now I should be studying for my midterm in 2 hours...

Jimmy Archer said...

The first thing I notice in this discourse is that conformity in itself is put in question; it needs to be justified.

This is a very individualistic approach. Quite natural for our modern western culture. (If we were in the East, we'd put [a lot] more conscious effort towards imitation.)

Without arguing for it, let me offer a subversive look at conformity. Rather than conformity in itself needing to be justified, I suggest that reasons (motivations), content (what are you conforming to?), and consequences (upon the group) be criteria. Conformity in itself is always and immediately justified as a principle: how else do you communicate if you don't conform to a particular language? How else do you interact with people if you don't conform to a particular set of social rituals? Conformity may be a brilliant good; one who conforms to the highest moral standards is a saint. Conformity may be a consuming evil; one who conforms to destructive philosophies will invite suffering.

Let me therefore ask a different set of questions.

Why do X group of people worship in B way? How can I worship in communion with them?

These questions assume that conformity is good in itself, and that if there is a problem, it is probably with the individual rather than the group.

ediesblah said...

daniiiiii...
come back for COP!!!
commmmmeeeeeeeeee
=D